Uninsured Driver

Uninsured Drivers SchemeIn Britain, over 70 people every day are injured in car accidents involving uninsured and untraced motorists. Although insurance is compulsory under the Road Traffic Act, many motorists either drive without insurance (which is against the Law) or mistakenly assume they are insured to drive a particular vehicle.

In cases where an offending motorist is not insured, the victim of the accident can still recover damages for personal injury. Cyclists involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist can claim accident compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). 

If you’re involved in an accident while cycling and are injured, you should call the police and ask them to attend the accident scene. If you’re taken to hospital before the police arrive, we can obtain details of the offending driver directly from the police on your behalf.  If at all possible, it’s important to obtain the registration number of the vehicle that caused your accident. From that single piece of information alone, we can check whether there’s a policy of insurance in place for that particular vehicle and the identity of the registered keeper. If it transpires that the offending driver is not insured for the vehicle he or she is driving or that there is no insurance in place, we can help you claim for compensation either from the “insurer concerned” or the MIB.
In cases where the offending motorist is not insured, the innocent cyclist can still raise proceedings to recover damages for compensation for personal injury. We can help you submit the appropriate form to the MIB under the MIB’s Uninsured Drivers’ Agreement and guide you through the process of obtaining an award for your loss, injury and damage. As there is an obligation to make reasonable enquiries to establish the existence of insurance cover, we can also assist with these enquiries on your behalf.

If you've been involved in a cycle incident with an uninsured driver, you need expert advice - contact Cycle Law Scotland on 0333 5557783 or complete our contact form.